My secret garden

July 9, 2012

It’s been hotter than a hotcake on a griddle (I think that makes me sound southern, don’t you?) here in Southwestern Pennsylvania this summer. I’m talking the kind of hot that makes you crabby, tired, and sweaty just by stepping outside. Hot. Hot. Hot. I haven’t even been able to enjoy my Friday evening ritual of laying outside on my swing with a good book and a cold glass of pop. The shade from the swing’s canopy just isn’t up to the challenge of cooling 100 degree air.

Somehow, though, my garden has been thriving. I guess my plants enjoy this heat more than I do. Their only requirement is that I give them a good drink of water now and then since Mother Nature has been stingy with her watering can.

I know I’ll be wishing for some of this heat in a few months’ time when the skies are gray and the color has drained from the landscape.

Since I just got my new Cannon EOS Rebel T3 a few months ago and haven’t had much of a chance to practice with it, I took some pictures of my garden to remind me of the pleasures of summer.

Feel free to revisit this post over the winter or anytime you need a little dose of summer.

This is my very own secret garden.

Take a load off and sit a while.

God loves all creatures great and small, especially little birdies.

Lilies seem to be one of the few flowers that really thrive in my garden.

One of my hydrangea plants is wonderfully blue this year.

A cucumber just starting to grow.

Tomatoes in a container garden on my patio.

Basil is one of my favorite herbs.

Summer phlox.

That’s my little garden oasis. What’s in your secret garden?

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2012
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Joyce July 10, 2012 at 10:31 am

Beautiful pictures! In my secret garden: basil, oregano, cilantro, a few potted flowers, and tomato plants. We have already eaten tons of basil, made pasta sauce with the oregano, salsa and a chicken dish with the cilantro, and are waiting patiently for something to come of the tomato plants. Glad to see your garden is thriving!
Joyce recently posted..Gary’s Famous Baked Beans

Unhip Chick July 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Your garden sounds tastier than mine, Joyce! And being able to use all of the things you grow in your Busy Moms Recipe Box dishes is even better!
Unhip Chick recently posted..Hoisin sauce is a secret for recipe success

Alyson July 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Leslie, What a beautiful garden I am glad to see all is growing so well in this heat. My hydrangea’s lost their courageous battle with the deer this year so sadly I will not be replanting. My lilies are growing great like yours. Your photos are very creative.
My secret garden is the neighbors behind us, they grow tasty fruits and veggies and I just have to pick them.

Unhip Chick July 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Shhhhh!!! We don’t want the neighbors to find out that you’re plundering their bounty!
Unhip Chick recently posted..Makin’ bacon is easier when bakin’

2girlsonabench July 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm

That is one gorgeous garden, we would like to steal your basil – but since we live in CA there is no danger of theft! 🙂
2girlsonabench recently posted..2 Girls and Some Salt + Playwriting

Unhip Chick July 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Thanks, 2girls! No need to steal the basil, I would gladly give you some. Unfortunately, I don’t think it would stay fresh en route to CA.
Unhip Chick recently posted..My secret garden

jody lapinski July 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm

We share all of our plants, flowers & veggies with the wildlife. I only wish they would save me one tomato.

Unhip Chick July 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I’ll share one of my tomatoes with you, Jodi! That is, if the chipmunks or the rabbits don’t get there first. 😉
Unhip Chick recently posted..(Virtually) guilt free snacking is easy with cocoa roasted almonds