In search of the perfect pink

October 14, 2011

I adore the color pink, and ever since I perused the book How Not to Look Old, I’ve been slightly obsessed with finding the perfect shade of pink lip color. The book said that pink is flattering on every woman and is one of the big secrets to looking young.

Sometimes the things that seem the simplest turn out to be the exact opposite.

Finding the perfect pink is not easy. In fact, it’s nearly impossible. The perfect pink gives your lips that “just kissed” look. I’ve never actually run to the mirror after kissing my husband to check out my lips but, apparently, “just kissed” is the color of choice for a youthful pout. Since dragging the Big Man around with me all day to help me achieve the perfect pink is not a convenient option, I have to rely on my good friends Maybelline, Revlon, L’Oreal, and Estee Lauder.

My hair stylist told me that to find the perfect pink, you should try to match the color of your tongue. This seems easy enough, but let me offer a word of caution before you attempt to follow this advice. Make sure there is no one else around in the store while you’re shopping because you will look pretty silly holding up a mirror and sticking out your tongue while standing in the makeup aisle. People might even think you’re weird—not that this has happened to me or anything…

Are tongues supposed to be youthful looking? Mine just looks tongue-like and doesn’t appear to be a good youth-enhancing color.

After much trial and error, and the expenditure of more cash than I care to admit, I finally made an important discovery. The search for the perfect shade of pink is much like snipe hunting. You can look high and low, but you’ll never find it.

Do you think lip color is the secret to looking youthful?

This post is dedicated to all of my friends and family, and every woman, who has looked cancer in the eye and said “you’re not welcome here.” Early detection saves lives, people. Do monthly self exams and go get your mammogram.
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Leanne October 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Okay, but did you get close to the perfect pink? We won’t discuss how many pinks I’ve bought by mistake. I’ve never used the tongue method. Maybe I should try that. Did it help at ALL? I think the secret to looking youthful is maintaining your immaturity.:) xo, Leanne

Unhip Chick October 14, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Nope. I’ve never even come close to finding pink nirvana. I wouldn’t bother with the tongue method–it was no help at all. But, I think you may be on to something with this immaturity thing! The secret to fountain of youth!

Readers: Look for a guest post from romance author extraordinaire, Leanne Banks (http://www.leannebanks.com), coming soon!
Unhip Chick recently posted..In search of the perfect pink

Eliwrites October 15, 2011 at 12:22 am

I think the secret to remaining youthful is accepting that age is a *great* thing. We learn to accept ourselves and feel like we are strong women (or men). We learn to forgive ourselves and others. We learn patience with the other people in our lives. We learn how to take pleasure in the small as well as large. And we learn to love both ourselves and others wholly and completely.
I wouldn’t have missed a day, even the bad days.

Unhip Chick October 15, 2011 at 12:57 am

Thank you for sharing so eloquently your wonderful perspective on aging. I think if everyone adopted your attitude we’d all be a lot happier.
Unhip Chick recently posted..In search of the perfect pink

2girlsonabench October 19, 2011 at 7:09 pm

When feeling a little zombie-esque, we just slap a little lipstick on. It’s usually not pink, we tend to go with colors like gingerbread and cocoa, colors that sound like food which reminds us of being happy.
2girlsonabench recently posted..Mushroom Sandwich (aka Portabello Panini Shabby Chic the sequel)

Tiffany C. October 22, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I personally CANNOT wear pink. I have dark skin, and pink just looks nuts on me, unless its more like a gloss and not an actual color. I think the secret to looking young is taking care of your body and mind, which is sometimes hard to do in such a stressful world, but we can all give it a try!